Nordstrom on a Budget
Most people think that Nordstrom and budget don’t go together. They also think that everything is overpriced and stuff like that can be had for half price at Target.
There is nothing wrong with bargain shopping, especially if you are looking for some light vacation wear or kids supplies. However, quality of Nordstrom is hard to beat, when everything you buy stands the test of time and wash. And actually fits.
The secret to afford Nordstrom is to shop strategically and spend a few dollars up front only to love your apparel longer and better than some pieces from your local mall’s clearance racks.
Some people will never change their set ways and shopping habits, but there is a part of shopping society that agrees about the value of quality over quantity. Sometimes it’s better to have 5 great quality dresses that fit like a glove versus 20 that have to be adjusted every five minutes and fall apart after six washes.
Let’s take a look at some things Nordstrom has to offer:
- You will always have free shipping and free returns at Nordstrom. Online returns are also free at the stores
- If you don’t find your size, employees will track it down and will ship it directly to your house for free
- Price adjustments are easy. If something that you bought gets reduced within two weeks, one call to the customer service will return the difference to your credit card
- Nordstrom is the most perfect place to buy shoes. You can wear them for a month and return if your feet start hurting. If the shoe breaks a year after purchase, they will fix it for you. They will clean your shoes and will teach you how to do it at home. Finally, if your feet are not the same size, they will fit you in two different sizes
- Nordstrom Racks are popping up in many locations and offer discounted prices, but not discounted quality. You can find great deals year-round and enjoy buying brands that are not available anywhere else, especially at such prices. This is the only place to buy men’s costumes!
Nordstrom sales are happening at about the same time each year and are pretty easy to understand. The store has information about sales on their FAQ Page all the time.
- Women and Kids – second half of May
- Men – second half of June
- Women and Kids – first half of November
- Men – first half of December
The sales like that are typically on seasonal items. For example, you will find great discounts on summer/fall stuff in November.
Nordstrom has some items discounted year-round on one or two racks, so everything is in one convenient place. During Half-Yearly sales they bring everything out a few days before the start of the sale, so come in early for the best pickings.
The Anniversary sale is pretty much a preview of the next season merchandise without a clearance, but with great prices. It happens in July-August and features fall/winter fashion. The prices on Natori, Zella, Nike, and many others are the lowest you will see, and once the items are gone, they are gone for good.
Nordstrom credit card holders will get invitation to this sale earlier and will get the first pick. Regular shoppers will still get plenty of choices, but having a card helps for items that sell out very quickly.
If you want to be in the know, you can join Nordstrom Fashion Deals Facebook Group and stay on top with minute deals, top price drops, favorites, and even dressing room pictures during the sale. The group gets really active before and during the Anniversary Sale.
Black Friday/ Cyber Monday
Nordstrom usually marks their sale items an additional 20% off and everything flies off the shelves and racks, so if you snooze - you lose. Some great items can be cheaper than during Half-Year or Anniversary Sales, so don’t miss it.
A few times a year Nordstrom quietly matches prices on sale items from other retailers. We have seen such brands as Clarins, Estee Lauder, Kate Spade, Michael Kors, and Clinique go on sale.
Nordstrom will also price-match some stuff that you can find at similar retailers for less. They won’t do the same prices as discount stores or auction sites, but will gladly match what Macy’s and Bloomingdales offer.
This program is free to join and will allow you to collect points for every dollar spent. 2,000 points will give you a $20 in-store and online gift card. Some days are double or triple points, so get in to earn more points and more dollars down the road.
Nordstrom card holders will earn 2 points for every dollar. There are two Visa card options, so consider signing up for them.
There are some brands that have the best quality, fit, style, and price ratio. We love Vigoss Denim, Zella, Hanky Panky, Bobeau, Brass Plum Shoes, Lush, Pleione, and Kate Spade.
- You can get free shoe inserts and get them stretched if they are a bit small
- Kids get free balloons in kids department
- Great food options and great service at the Nordstrom café
- Free gifts with some beauty brands, like Clinique, Lancome, Clarins, and Estee Lauder
- Always pleasant customer service