Amazon against Walmart on Black Friday
2019 Black Friday is still approaching, but we are seeing some if the best deals already, meaning that Black Friday itself is fixing to be very big this year. To prove that to you we are going to look at Amazon and Walmart, the young buck and the king, for their best deals and best fight for our attention.
The stores are regarded as an old and a new, but in reality they both follow similar sales patterns and with Walmart’s aggressive delivery policy lately, the old is catching up to the new quite fast.
The best way to start understanding what each of the two giants is best known for and what to expect this year, let’s take a look at the biggest trends and deals from 2018:
What products and categories from Walmart won over Amazon last year?
- iPhone category is always big for Walmart and nobody has won there yet – XS, XS Max, and XR models all had $300 gift card for qualified activation. No deals on iPhones on Amazon.
- Older iPhones, 8, 8 Plus, and X, carried $400 gift card with activation.
- Microsoft Xbox One X 1TB was going for $399, which is $100 savings. Nothing on Xbox on Amazon.
- Sharp / TCL 65-inch Class 4K Roku Smart TV was $398, making it the best deal for 65” category. Amazon had cheaper, but worse quality TVs.
- Google Home Hub went for $50 off, when Amazon had no deals on its rival Google.
Where did Amazon win over Walmart in 2018?
- Amazon devices, of course – Echo, Fire, and Kindle.
- Super Budget TVs - you could get 32-inch TVs for as low as $120. Walmart did not participate in this category.
- Lightning Deals – those deals were absolutely loved by quick-acting customers on Black Friday. Walmart had low-stock doorbusters at similar prices.
- Shipping – Amazon had free 2-day shipping on most orders at no minimum for Prime members, so you should definitely become one for $119 per year or at least join free 30-day trial before Black Friday this year to take advantage of the same shipping deal. Free fast shipping was available on $25 orders for non-members. Walmart offered free 2-day shipping on $35 orders for everybody.
What predictions can we make for Black Friday in 2019?
- Amazon is definitely going all out with Amazon device discounts this year, all 7 new devices will be discounted and all older models – even more so.
- Apple iPhone 11, 11 Pro, and 11 Pro Max will again carry at least $300 gift cards for activation at Walmart. But Amazon will be close this year now that it is an official iPhone reseller, so you will see heavy discounts on older models and refurbished devices.
- Samsung Galaxy S10, S10+, Note 10, Note 10+ will all get the same deal at Walmart like iPhones do. Amazon won’t be competing there, but individual MarketPlace sellers could offer some deals. Expect something good from Best Buy when it comes to Samsung devices too.
- Xbox is expected to have lots of bundle deals at Walmart, but Amazon should offer $100 off the device itself. Target’s REDcard savings will be edgy too.
- Playstation 4 bundles will be discounted at Walmart while Amazon will offer better deals on the device itself. We can all expect over $100 savings on PS4 Pro.
- When it comes to TVs, Walmart will offer the best discounts on premium brands, but Amazon will beat it in the absolute bottom dollar category. 65-inch TVs at Walmart will fly off the shelves, while Amazon will rock sub $99 HD TV deals.
When will the deals start at both retailers?
Amazon will begin its Black Friday Deals Store on November 1st and will offer more specials as Black Friday nears, and especially with doorbusters on Thanksgiving Day. The rock bottom prices will last through Cyber Monday. Shipping will be free for all Prime members, no minimum. It’s $25 minimum for non-members.
Walmart started its first deals on October 25th; the stores will open on Thanksgiving Day at 6 pm and stay open all night. Shipping is free on orders of $35 and more for all customers.
Cyber Monday for both stores should look similar to Black Friday, as long as there are some stocks left. None of the stores are announcing those deals early, but will tease customers with ads on November 30th or on Cyber Monday.